Friday, March 02, 2012

Emmanuel lends a hand


Partnerships within the community have helped to foster great students. Emmanuel College and Fenway High School collaborated in 2005 to create a dual enrollment program that allows students the opportunity to enroll in undergraduate courses at the College for high school and college credit at no cost to them.

“The program allows students to gain confidence in their ability to do college work and teaches them the skills to navigate what is often for them the foreign world of college," says Peggy Kemp, Headmaster at Fenway.

One former student commented, “Nothing in the world made me happier than to see what I’ve worked for. There were times when I wanted to quit but I'm glad that I didn't. I know now that I can do anything if I allow myself to do so.” This student graduated from Smith College early because of the four courses she took at Emmanuel and is currently a teacher in the Boston Public Schools.

Since 2005, more than 200 Fenway students have participated in the program and about 300 courses have been taken.

No comments: